It is encouraging to see that some of us are beginning to be more health-conscious these days. We are concerned about the things that we are putting into our bodies realizing that so much of the food available to us on the market is simply not good for us. Fatty or sugary combinations, processed foods and convenience tempt us to indulge ourselves, but at what price?
Overall, our food choices affect our body as the world is now overwhelmed with multiple, medical conditions stemming from poor diets making food choices an ethical concern.
World Health Organization states:
- Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975.
- In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 650 million were obese.
- 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese.
- Most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
- 41 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2016.
- Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
- Obesity is preventable.
See World Health Organization fact sheet
What is food?
Food is necessary to keep our bodies strong and healthy, but there is another side to this coin that reveals food also has other purposes:
- Food is devotion as we can thank God for our food since He provided a way for us to have it.
- When we appreciate food we learn not to take things for granted.
- Food helps one stop from the busyness of the day; to take a break and pause to remember our place giving our minds and bodies the ability to rejuvenate.
- Food teaches us discipline. With so many food choices available to us, we can seek out food choices that are good for us.
- Food is a reflection of what we think of ourselves. If we love ourselves then we will desire to love our bodies by learning to understand what is healthy to give our bodies.
- Food teaches us how to be wise by giving us awareness of the many unhealthy food choices that will make us sick with chronic disease, shorten our lifespan, and eventually kill us.
- Food teaches us balance as we learn how to eat food that tastes very good in moderation.
- Food unites our families and friends together at one table.
Our body is God’s temple, our spirit is God’s Spirit
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.1 CORINTHIANS 3:16-17
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.ROMANS 12:1-2
Feature photo by Kaboompics .com from Pexels